Friday, June 24, 2011

Liam Update! - 34 Weeks!

I had an interesting check up on Tuesday!  It started off with an ultrasound to check my placenta issues and Liam's growth. Turns out little Liam isn't so little! He's already 5lbs 5oz (88% percentile) and seems to have plenty of hair on his head. He was wiggling all over the place and showing off for the camera :)




After the ultrasound they took me back to get a stress test done to see if I was contracting.  Well, if you've been reading my updates then you know I've been saying that I thought I've been having tons of braxton hicks contractions, which to me are just tightening of the belly (not real painful).  Turns out after looking at the results of the stress test, it showed I was contracting every 3 minutes.  The doctor said everything else looked great though - baby did fine through the contractions, not dilated, fluid levels were good etc.  And he said since everything else looked so good he wasn't going to send me to the hospital right away to get medicine to stop the contractions.  Instead, he wanted me to go home, rest, drink plenty of water and see if they go away.

Well they didn't go away.  So I ended up going back to the doctor on Wednesday for another stress test...which I failed again...so off to the hospital I went...


They hooked me up to an IV and gave me some meds to try and stop the contractions.  I was probably there for about 3 hours.  The medicine did slow them down but they didn't go away completely.  They did release me to go home though but told me I needed to go back to the doctor on Thursday.

Now keep in mind during all of this, we already had a beach trip planned (and paid for) to leave on Friday for a week (today!).  I wasn't sure if they were going to let me go to the beach or much less go back to work!

When I spoke to the doctor on Thursday he said the medicine seemed to be helping and he wanted me to relax and rest for a week AT THE BEACH :) and then come back to see him when I get back and see how I'm feeling and then discuss any restrictions.  He also said that basically since I am on the medicine and it does seem to be helping and I'm not dilated any, then it was okay not to put me on full bed rest right now but to just take it easy.

The only bad thing about the medicine is it gives me pretty bad headaches.  But honestly I'd much rather deal with a headache than be put on bed rest.  I saw a glimpse of how that was over the past few days and it was NOT FUN.  Landon DID NOT understand and all.

So hopefully little Liam will keep on cooking for a while and I'll be able to relax at the beach and get these contractions down then head back to work until his arrival IN AUGUST :)

Oh and I have only gained 1lb since 30 weeks.  Since Liam is growing well the doctor wasn't concerned at all.  I was pleased with that!  I'll have to get a 34 week picture at the beach.  We're on the way right now as I type!! :)

Go here to check out Landon's 34 week post.

1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! I am so glad you got to go on vacation..that's probably just what you need! :) And so glad the meds are working on Liam staying put! That is reassuring that he is already over 5 lbs..wow! Hud was only 6lbs 13 oz at birth. I was told at my appt. this week that our baby is in the 76th percentile..that made me laugh considering big bro has always been on small side. Just thought that was interesting that both our 2nd ones are measuring bigger. Hope you guys have SO much fun at the beach!! :) Heidi

    ReplyDelete